Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
Most of them think they're perfectly willing to pay higher taxes. Then the new tax laws get passed, and their new marginal rate is 90%. Then they move to Grand Bahama, where taxes are lower than that.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- China draws its own “red line” …on North Korea Erika Johnsen 44 minutes ago
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Welfare reform is officially on life support in NYC Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Are bans on high capacity magazines constitutional? Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago