As most of you know, during a football game last week Bob Costas lectured us po’ goofy Americans about the evils of a “gun culture” and how we need to evolve away from being obsessed with firearms. As soon as I heard that drivel roll off Mr. C’s tongue I ordered another 30/06, a sweet Walther PPK and a custom .416 Rigby turnbolt. Cowabunga, Bob. Thanks for reminding me to buy more guns.
In response to:
Probably not all the same Centurion. Palestine was under military occupation. A Centurion is a captain of roughly 100 men, equivalent in rank to a US Army Captain. Some of them were brutal to the local populations, which made the ones who were cooperative with the local populations all the more popular. Some of the ones mentioned in the gospels were actually "God-fearers" -- gentiles who paid obeisance to the God of the Jews. The profession of "soldier" was not a shameful profession in the Roman empire. Soldiers were feared by the Jews because brutality was legal, but not all soldiers were brutes; some were decent. There was, and is, no necessary correlation between profession and personal holiness.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 10 hours ago