24) "I’ve been to dozens of Tea Party rallies. I’ve given at least a half a dozen or more speeches. I have not yet to find the first racist comment or the first person who approaches me from a racist perspective. I will speak very clearly here. Racism is a part of a lot of things in our country. Good people are the predominant fact of our country. I simply don’t get it. There are good...
Doug, see my comment at 10:55 AM. While I suppose there may be a philosophical defense of a system that addresses each of these acts in terms of their harm to the individual or his property, in Western law these are considered attacks on the state and society, which is the definition of a "crime." Acts that harm individual property or person are torts, and are addressed in civil courts. The idea is that the harm of a theft (for instance) goes far beyond how it harms the individual who lost his property, it assaults the very idea of private property itself, and that harms everybody. Likewise murder harms far more than the individual who lost his life or the family who lost that person's income and presence; it assaults everyone's safety.
25) "A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders." -- Larry Elder
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 16 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago