"It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning cannot be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions.
As the nation awaits the most anticipated Supreme Court decision in a generation, it’s worth pondering whether Americans’ life, liberty, and happiness are well served by devotion to a two century old document. Does the Constitution matter today? Could you explain why to a teenager?
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago