"It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning cannot be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions.
As the nation awaits the most anticipated Supreme Court decision in a generation, it’s worth pondering whether Americans’ life, liberty, and happiness are well served by devotion to a two century old document. Does the Constitution matter today? Could you explain why to a teenager?
- Wisconsin gubernatorial poll: Mary Burke 47, Scott Walker 46 Allahpundit 34 minutes ago
- CNN: Obama approval holding steady … at 42% Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Uh oh: Democratic senator from Montana accused of plagiarism in Army War College assignment Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 3 hours ago