Those who want to discredit the United States and to deny our role as history’s most powerful and pre-eminent force for freedom, goodness and human dignity invariably focus on America’s bloody past as a slave-holding nation. Along with the displacement and mistreatment of Native Americans, the enslavement of literally millions of Africans counts as one of our two founding crimes—and an obvious rebuttal to any claims that this Republic truly represents “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” According to America-bashers at home and abroad, open-minded students of our history ought to feel more guilt than pride,...
In response to:
Actually, most white slaves were chattel slaves, and sold into slavery for a lifetime. They were, usually, NOT paid and were far more used and abused and treated much more poorly than black slaves, because they usually wouldn't cost anything to procure, which made them more expendable than a black slave that cost the owner money to buy and trade. Thousands and thousands of white slaves were brought to and used in America in greater numbers than black slaves. It is unfortunate we have only been subjected to the black slave movement in carefully controlled American history texts. There were far more atrocities and horrors inflicted on Native Americans than on black slaves. In fact, a black slave was worth more on the rolls of plantation owners than a Native American slave. But we are taught first and foremost of the conceived brutalities of black slaves, and Native American genocide, rape, murder, floggings, and a plethora of violence and viciousness perpetrated on our on native inhabitants takes a third back seat to black slavery. GO WHITE GUILT!!!
- Video: Ukrainian forces advancing in east as showdown nears Ed Morrissey 18 minutes ago
- Detroit cuts deal with retired first responders on pensions Ed Morrissey 58 minutes ago
- Video: Did we miss the al-Qaeda convention? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bloomberg to spend $50 million to “outmuscle” the NRA Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago