So taxes will be going up. As a matter of political strategy -- not to say survival -- Republicans will have to agree to raise taxes on those defined as rich. It's...
"Republicans will have to..." Funny thing. Anyone want to give me an example of when DEMOCRATS "had to" do anything they didn't want to do as a result of an election verdict? Didn't the GOP sweep the House elections in 2010? Why was that not a "sign" to the Democrats? The fact that "bipartisanship" means "doing it the Democrats' way" is the primary reason we're in the ungodly fiscal mess we're in.
Realistic Republicans understand that President Obama and the Democrats head into fiscal cliff negotiations in a far stronger bargaining position now than in 2011. When voters were asked on Nov. 6 whether they favored raising taxes to reduce the deficit, a total of 60 percent said yes (47 percent favored increasing taxes for those who earn $250,000 or more, and 13 percent approved tax increases for all).
- CPAC interviews: The candidates Ed Morrissey 44 minutes ago
- Amazing: Leader of authoritarian gulag state unanimously “elected” with 100 percent voter turnout Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Snowden Q&A overshadowed at SXSW by … Girls Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Russian ambassador: We’re making it easier for Latvian ethnic Russians to get citizenship Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Let the primaries begin: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz battle over foreign policy Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- True Detective finale: greatest miniseries end ever? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago