When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
Disagree. The Left has NEVER been about free speech, it has been about manipulation of the concepts of liberty to achieve its totalitarian ends. The notion that the Left, throughout its history from the early 19th Century, has EVER been about freedom of expression or thought or conscience is ludicrous on its face. The Left has ALWAYS used the ideas of classical liberalism as a cloak to disguise its merciless repression of anything that opposes its agenda. The INSTANT they have power, they crush any and all freedom of speech and action, without remorse and without fail. I'm sick and tired of hearing "conservatives" argue based on the premises the Left establishes. Do not give them ONE OUNCE of credit for ANYTHING they say. Rather, deal..
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- “Heads up high”: The Cumberland Little League consolation speech Allahpundit 12 hours ago