An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:48 PM
Conservatives keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true. I don't know of any liberals who believe raising taxes has no effect on the market. We KNOW it does, we just believe that it is not the only factor and in the long term will have less of an effect than conservatives believe. When gas prices doubled, did people drive half as much?

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:44 PM
No one has said it should be illegal to move money, just that it should be illegal to do it to AVOID paying taxes.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:42 PM
That's a non-sequiter. Political corruption and self-servedness are not the exclusive realm of any political party. I agree with your post. Everyone should be against that. So what?

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:36 PM
Go ahead - keep screeching "Utopia!", "Communism!", "Soviet Union!" and keep losing elections, fool.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:33 PM
Whoah - take a pill, inkling_revival. As I said, whether you call it human nature or bad behavior, the fact is that if the law allows it, people (D or R or I) are going to avoid taxes. That's why the law needs to prohibit avoidance. It already does for most types of avoidance, as I am sure you know.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Dec 06, 2012 12:30 PM
I am aware of his posts. Traditional satire requires subtlety and intelligence. LoyalDemocrat displays neither. His posts come off as goonish and simplistic. If you like that you must LOVE Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live, right?

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Nov 29, 2012 4:04 PM
You mean like the mortgage interest deduction, or the charitable giving deduction? All or nothing logic produces false choices.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Nov 29, 2012 1:54 PM
LoyalDemocrat? Nice insult.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Nov 29, 2012 1:29 PM
I believe that's an entirely different argument than Dr. Sowell and Stephen Moore are making. They are talking about tax avoidance not investment decisions. Nevertheless, I disagree with your assessment, although it may be correct in the short term. In the longer term, investers are going to invest if they believe they can make more money than not investing. The economy has roared even when personal or capital gains taxes have been higher than they are today. The economy is affected by tax rates to be sure, but it is not necessarily dictated by them as most conservatives are SURE is the case. -- Bringing up the Soviet Union is an ad hominem attack that exemplifies the hypocricy of conservatives regarding such attacks.

An Overdue Book

iForward Wrote: Nov 29, 2012 12:39 PM
Okay, I agree that it's human nature, and perhaps I should not have characterized that as greedy or un-American, but I was making a specific point and not talking about liberal policies as a whole. Let me put it another way. If we had the same tax laws but they were voluntary, human nature would dictate that very few people would pay them. That is why the law must be enforced or our society would evaporate. I would call that selfish but others migh say it's just human nature. So that's why we need the laws to be enforced and why there should be laws against (voluntarily) choosing to avoid the taxes that one would otherwise pay. Wouldn't you agree that many if not most of our laws are designed to limit the effects of human nature?