We Are the Idiots

ideaminer Wrote: May 22, 2013 11:15 AM
Excellent column, Mr. Williams. Here's a suggestion for your next column: Look up economic predictions and you'll find the same pattern of predictions that entirely missed the mark. How much trust would there be in the medical profession if it was allowed the same diagnostic and predictive (prognosis) latitude we allow environmentalists and economists? And, shouldn't the accuracy of one's predictions be considered before for being recognized as a 'professional' in any field?

The Great Gold Redemption

ideaminer Wrote: May 03, 2013 4:48 PM
Which coutries besides Germany have requested the return of their gold stored here? I've heard that Fort Knox is empty and that that much/most/all of the gold stored in US has been stolen or used as collateral for US borrowing. Is there any way to verify any of this?

Real Pride

ideaminer Wrote: Apr 13, 2013 5:29 PM
Charles: I agree completely with your comments about the misplaced pride in getting "free" stuff from the government. But, I have a question for you: How is this young kid any different from the corporate execs who pocketed millions in taxpayer paid "bonuses" after those same taxpayers got stuck with the tab for bailing out their companies? Were they proud of getting those bonuses? From street kids to bankers, the pride of earning, by hard work and competence, has been replaced by the "pride" of gaming--as in gaming the system.Just like the bonus was the point for the exec, the phone was the point for your friend, not the means to it. We've traveled a long way down the "ends justifies the means" road, and this is one of the consequence

Idiocies in the Gun Control Debate

ideaminer Wrote: Apr 08, 2013 5:42 PM
You also have the right to be a jerk, as you've so clearly demonstrated. You have a right to have your free speech rights respected, but you don't have a right to be liked or respected for using your free speech to be a jerk.

Idiocies in the Gun Control Debate

ideaminer Wrote: Apr 08, 2013 5:30 PM
"...hyped up on violent video games..." And, probably meds, according to one of his relatives. It was just revealed last week that James Holmes was taking Zoloft (same drug either Harris or Klebold was taking) and Clonazepam, aka Klonopin, which has been called “the world’s deadliest pill,” because of its affects on the brain. Long term use has been frequently associated with violent, aggressive behavior. And, long term use is likely, because it is also highly addictive. When are people going to get serious about looking at the combination of youth 'mental illness' + the psychotropic they're prescribed + the daily doses of violence via video games, movies and TV? Sounds like a perfect psychotic storm, to me.

Idiocies in the Gun Control Debate

ideaminer Wrote: Apr 08, 2013 3:49 PM
There are a few of us (although I'm not sure there are any left in the Denver-Boulder area), but if we don't take back at least one house of the state legislature, I'm out of here. It used to be that there weren't many liberals outside of Denver, Boulder, and Pueblo, and even in the rural/mountain areas where there some Dems, there were more likely to be pretty (the 'blue-dog' variety) on a lot of issues--like gun control. The real political divide in this state used to be the front range v the rest of the state, not Dems v GOP. Where I live, most of the Dems (excluding the transplants from CA and the East Coast) are livid over the new gun laws. There are a lot of recall petitions starting up, including one for the governor.

Coloradofornia?

ideaminer Wrote: Mar 24, 2013 11:41 AM
As lifelong resident of Colorado (65 yrs), I'm stunned and disheartened by the changes in this state. At a family event a couple weeks ago, I mentioned to my kids that if it weren't for them and my grandkids, I'd be moving to Wyoming or Texas. I was a little surprised when they said they are also considering getting out of this state. Of course, with young families, their own businesses, and homes that would have to be sold, it's not as easy for them to pick-up and go. I've joked that I'm now a believer in fences for border control--put a fence around Calif.! Those residents chose to foul their state with high taxes and excessive regs, so they should stay there and clean up their own mess, not flee to feed off the productivity of others

Goldilocks and the Bear Jobs Report

ideaminer Wrote: Mar 10, 2013 8:11 PM
If this is a really stupid question, I hope you and the others posting here will be patient. You say, "If the government would stay out of the way and let market cycles operate under the influence of normal economic forces....", but what I keep wondering is do "normal economic forces" include an entity like the Fed, that can expand or contract the money supply seemingly at will, without considering other economic factors? Or, are you including the Fed as a quasi-governmental agency? I guess what I'm asking, is can we, in the short-run, restore normal economic forces without restorng sound money? And, if not, which do we do first, deal with the federal debt and unfunded mandate or restore sound money?

Gilded Class Warriors

ideaminer Wrote: Feb 21, 2013 7:06 PM
By the way...Obama may have been born in Hawaii, but, as I recall, he hadn't lived there for 30 years, (since he graduated high school in 1979), and had no residence or relatives left in Hawaii, when he became President. At the time of his election he had been a resident of Chicago for almost 20 years, so shouldn't he have a "Chicago White House", or at least "Illinois White House" when he wants to spend time at "home", instead of jetting to Hawaii?

Gilded Class Warriors

ideaminer Wrote: Feb 21, 2013 5:31 PM
Continuation: What message would that send to the 'winning' candidate? Even though Candidate D 'won', what did he 'win'? Not even a simple majority, let alone a mandate; he takes office knowing that 95% of the voters opted for either the other candidate, or to withhold their consent from both. Even today, candidates in three-way races who don't win by 50+%, tend to be very circumspect in office, because they know they don't have the majority of popular support. I'm not saying this is a great idea, just an idea that's (1) different, (2) likely to get the attention of both parties, since one or two points can now change the outcome of elections, (3) grassroots and can go national without a lot of money or organization, and (4) peaceful.