Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 8:14 PM
This of course still referred to Mo4. On the other: I wonder if among conservatives it is morrally correct to entice someone to take his own life ....

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 8:11 PM
To me, like to you, there is only ONE class of human beings. We disagree on WHEN the inclusion starts.

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 8:07 PM
Mother of 4, we are entering into dishonesty territory. You simply DECLARE that a zygote is a "human being" and then use that as a tool to badger me with the GENERALIZATION of "selected, superior classES of human beingS hav[ing] rights while other, lesser human beings may be freely slaughtered for the convenience of those who do have rights." Conveniently, this invokes all sorts of dark and sinister insinuations. I respect that you consider a zygote a human being but I expect you to also respect that BECAUSE I do see an essential differences between a zygote and an essentially viable and sentient embryo I would not IN GENERAL differentiate between selected, higher classES of human beingS (note your defamatory plurals).

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:47 PM
Furthermore, as regards the abortion issue: While I defend the woman's right to choose, I am very much in favor of reducing as much as possible abortion numbers. Therefore, I was more than willing to pay my share in providing for as much child support as possible. How did you know that I wasn't willing to?

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:43 PM
wein-stein writes "What's interesting is that you are only interested in the "humanity of a human being " when your tax dollars aren't being used to defend or support it." How do you know? As a retiree I don't pay anymore euros for health care, social and public security as well as defense in taxes - because I don't pay any taxes anymore. I used to; I also paid proportionally more than others, I thought it right, and I haven't changed my mind on the issue. Again: How do you know to the contrary?

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:34 PM
Mother of 4, in the second part of your post at 7:09 pm you convey the idea that somehow from Gazzaniga's argument would follow that people not passing an IQ-test would be "free to be euthanized" (my wording). Playing on YOUR words. I think there is an ESSENTIAL difference between a fetus that is NOT YET able to feel pain, to control its breathing or its body temperature and a person who has an awareness of self. It probably boils down to the contention that you assume that only conception is ESSENTIAL and other stages are not while I (and I assume, Gazzaniga) think each stage has its own ESSENCE. (But then I still don't know exactly which essence you are referring to). Can we agree to disagree?

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:24 PM
Gosh. why does the text appear twice?

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:22 PM
Thanks for responding. The author DIOES NOT pretend that "[t]he idea that a baby who has developed normally for his/her very young age is not human because he/she does not have the brain function of a normal adult does not follow AUTOMATICALLY (my caps) from the idea that a person whose brain has irreparably ceased to function is dead." Quite to the contrary, Gazzaniga is marshalling a lot of additional arguments. Furthermore, while he may be compelled by his desire of stem-cell research, nothing "compels" him to assume a deadline of fourteen DAYS for stem-cells and - what? - twenty-three weeks for abortion.

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:22 PM

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:10 PM
Ahem, the question was about "essential" and "accidental difference". I tried to convey very delicately that I was aware of what "formal logic" is - it turned out exactly what I understood by "mathematical logic". But I always allow for the possibility that I am wrong. Thus I assumed that you do know a "formal logic" unbeknownst to me that contains the distinction between "essential" and "accidental logic."

Legitimate Rape Arguments

IAdmitIAmCrazy Wrote: Aug 27, 2012 7:04 PM
Last but not least: I thought (and still FEAR) that Akin could wing it but guaranteeing the majority in the Senate is a legitimate goal of any party. As Obama has learned to his detriment, even with a majority not everyone toes the line, and for a president Romney (I certainly do not hope him to get there) the majority in the Senate would be essential, too. For Akin to have put his freedom to express each and every thought above the overriding goal of reaching a solid majority in the Senate is indeed sheer foolhardiness. Not that I would not rejoice if he were rebuffed ...