Since Barack Obama's re-election, hundreds...
If states were to secede today and in their secession documents listed Obamacare among their resons for seceding, would you then say that they seceded over access to affordable healthcare? Or, would you rightly state that Obamacare was an example of the unconstitutional overreach that prompted the states to leave? The abolitionists of the north were attempting unconstitutional overreach by abolishing slavery. They were also attemptint to outlaw slavery in new states. The Southern states realized that outlawing the institution in new states would reduce the South's influence over the national government and therefore bring them more under the thumb of the north. I would liken that modern Democrats not allowing new states into the union..
For decades, it has been obvious that there are irreconcilable differences between Americans who want to control the lives of others and those who wish to be left alone. Which is the more peaceful solution: Americans using the brute force of government to beat liberty-minded people into submission or simply parting company? In a marriage, where vows are ignored and broken, divorce is the most peaceful solution. Similarly, our constitutional and human rights have been increasingly violated by a government instituted to protect them. Americans who support constitutional abrogation have no intention of mending their ways.
- Open thread: Obama to speak on Ukraine after imposing sanctions Ed Morrissey 40 minutes ago
- National Journal: Hillary resets on Russia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- US to give up control over Internet Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Flight 370 dropped to 5,000 feet to evade radar Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Crimea declares independence, applies for Russian reunion Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago