The next time you meet a supporter of immigration (or more likely) someone who pretends to support immigration ask them the following question: How many immigrants should we take from India, a country with 4 times our population? The blank, glazed look on their face will be priceless.
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 22 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 22 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 23 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014