Jonathan put it better: "Well, let's say that single mothers are more vulnerable to economic shocks and are more concerned about the safety net." Much more diplomatic. Single voters were...
This is one instance where even I find it distressing that some ignore this fairly well-researched conclusion. Two-parent families within a healthy marriage is conclusively very good for children. And those that whine about this or ignore simply baffle me. I get that some may have gone through situations like bad marriages or abusive relationships, but on the whole it's perfectly reasonable favor marriage as a significant social good.
Discussing the role of single people in the election of 2012 on my weekly podcast with Jay Nordlinger "Need to Know" (available on Ricochet.com or Nationalreview.com), your humble columnist chose the insensitive way to address it. Chatting with Jonathan V. Last of The Weekly Standard about his piece "A Nation of Singles," I popped off that "Single mothers want the state to be their husbands and father to their children."
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- NYT: Sink loss “devastating” for Democrats, was driven by ObamaCare Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Zuckerberg: U.S. government is a threat to the Internet Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Kerry: I’m approaching the Keystone XL pipeline with a totally blank slate Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- The government doesn’t know how many empty buildings it owns — just that they’re costing us billions Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- WSJ/NBC poll: Americans now think sugar is a bigger health threat than marijuana Allahpundit 4 hours ago