Jonathan put it better: "Well, let's say that single mothers are more vulnerable to economic shocks and are more concerned about the safety net." Much more diplomatic. Single voters were...
This is one instance where even I find it distressing that some ignore this fairly well-researched conclusion. Two-parent families within a healthy marriage is conclusively very good for children. And those that whine about this or ignore simply baffle me. I get that some may have gone through situations like bad marriages or abusive relationships, but on the whole it's perfectly reasonable favor marriage as a significant social good.
Discussing the role of single people in the election of 2012 on my weekly podcast with Jay Nordlinger "Need to Know" (available on Ricochet.com or Nationalreview.com), your humble columnist chose the insensitive way to address it. Chatting with Jonathan V. Last of The Weekly Standard about his piece "A Nation of Singles," I popped off that "Single mothers want the state to be their husbands and father to their children."
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 5 hours ago