Pat, you're forgetting that ISIS is a Frankenstein of our own making. They are rolling over the Kurds with the same guns and tanks that BO gave them when he recruited them to enforce his idiotic "red line" in Syria. I don't know if ISIS is an "existential threat", but I do know that we are responsible for creating this monster, and if we can't afford to kill it ourselves, we have a duty to at least provide the peasants with some pitchforks! The solution to this latest mess by our idiot-in-chief is to recognize Kurdistan as a discreet country and ally separate from Iraq, and provide them with whatever they need to defend their own turf.
I agree, these "Tax-free holidays" are idiotic, but I certainly wouldn't hold up New Hampshire as a model for how to tax its citizens. It has the third highest property tax in the nation. Why would anyone favor a system that allows the state to arbitrarily decide for itself how much of your wealth to confiscate every year, regardless of any consideration of your ability to pay? I live in such a state -- Texas -- and my taxes each year are basically determined by how good a lawyer I can afford to fight my arbitrary property tax assessment each year. My assessment invariably increases 10%/year on my homestead residence despite the fact that I haven't seen a raise over 1% in 10 years. I was forced to downsize to a cheaper home two years ago and my first assessment on the new smaller house what 30% more that I paid for it! At least the bleeding will stop when I hit 65. They don't quit robbing you -- they just quit increasing it every year. Meanwhile, I have a retirement lot that I purchased back when I thought retirement might someday be an option. I can't unload it due to the Obama depression and I can't claim a homestead because I don't live there. So the state calls it "commercial" property because it's on an "airport" (actually a residential airpark that FORBIDS commercial activity). There are NO limits on yearly tax increases for "commercial" property. The first year I owned it, they arbitrarily declared it was worth twice what I paid for it, and they have since steadfastly refused to revise it down -- even after the market crash, when the developer was selling identical lots for a quarter of the price I paid. I'm still paying taxes on twice what I paid for it even though I haven't been able to sell it for half the price. There's your great "tax free" haven of Texas. I'd take income and sales tax any day over this corrupt system.

Are We Going Broke?

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 09, 2014 7:56 AM
Relax, John. You forgot Yellen's magic money machine. Nobody ever said that us dumb seniors who "invested" 15% of our lifetime wages in the government Ponzi scheme had to be paid back with real money. And besides, if you check Linda Chavez's column this week, you'll find she's already solved this problem. All it takes is 50 million Mexicans.

Medicare Solution

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 08, 2014 9:55 AM
That's the great puzzle. Linda's only apparent tie to the aliens is her Spanish surname. Her family came here from Spain, not Mexico. Its like there's some secret Spanish global conquest that they all secretly still aspire to.
We used to understand this fundamental principal of war back in the olden days when we used to win wars: When you buy an acre with the blood of your children, it's yours -- DON'T GIVE IT BACK TO YOUR ENEMY. Water under the bridge. Maybe Israel has been paying attention. In any case, Iraq is gone. Kurdistan is not. If we had any sense we would recognize Kurdistan as a discreet country and an ally and give them the weapons and air support to defend their country against the barbarian horde that threatens it.

Medicare Solution

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 08, 2014 8:53 AM
So Linda, you're telling us that American socialism can be saved by an alien invasion? Wow, whodathunkit? So simple -- just open the floodgates and let all those hard-working tax-paying Mexicans come right in and sign up for the bennies. Linda, do you realize that you've just solved Socialist Conundrum -- how to convince people to work while paying them not to? There it was all along -- Mexicans! Why didn't we think of that? Just one question. If Socialism works so well for Mexicans, why have over 10% of them already moved here? Shouldn't Mexico be paradise on earth by now?

WWI Demons Live

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 07, 2014 1:33 PM
And all it took to swing the RINO's around was a civilian cruise ship that Wilson packed full of illegal munitions headed for Britain, knowing it would be sunk by a German U-boat (after he leaked the intel to them, of course). 1200 civilians, including 128 Americans had to die to drag the RINO's into line for Wilson's war. Just one of the lesser-known Dumbocrat atrocities.

WWI Demons Live

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 07, 2014 9:36 AM
Jonah, you missed the most important point. Yes, WW1 was an monumental slaughter over the idiotic European notion of aristocratic pride. It had nothing to do with "defending freedom". They picked teams exactly the same way kids pick teams for kickball -- cool kids vs the nerds. But it was the "cool" kids of the Democrat Party that drug US in and determined the outcome. Naturally, they picked the wrong side -- the cool (stupid) kids of England, France, and Russia who had stupidly allowed the death of millions their own children over the assassination of a Serbian Duke nobody had even heard of. If not for Wilson, the German nerds would have won. And none of the calamities you mentioned that followed -- Versailles, Hitler, WW2, world communism, 7 million dead jews, 100 million dead victims of Communism -- would have happened. Like most of the monumental stupidity that goes on in this world, you can lay it all at the doorstep of the "cool" party -- the Dumbocrats.

WWI, the Not So Great War

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Jul 31, 2014 8:25 PM
Well, I'll admit that maybe that part's a bit of a reach, but a greatly enlarged and victorious German empire would probably have turned to Russia and finished it off before Lenin ceased power in 1920. The Russian peasants had already seen for themselves during the early part of the war how much better the Germans lived and probably would not have greatly resisted becoming a part of a unified Europe. In fact, that's the main reason they revolted in 1917. If someone had stopped Lenin from taking advantage of the revolution, things might have turned out much differently.

WWI, the Not So Great War

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Jul 31, 2014 9:17 AM
Worth it? Cal, you've got to be kidding! Germany wasn't some evil empire terrorizing its citizens and neighbors. It was a constitutional monarchy, the same as Britain -- the Kaiser was Victoria's grandson, for crissakes! It was one of the freest and probably the most advanced country in Europe. If Wilson and the Dumbocrats hadn't forced us into WW1, Germany would have won. There would have been no "Treaty of Versailles ", no Hitler, no WW2, and 7 million Jews and the rest of the 60 million causalities of WW2 might have lived to old age in peace. Here at home, Wilson would have been yet another a one-term Dumbocrat failure. The Fed would never have been created, the Depression wouldn't have happened, FDR never elected, and we would today live in a free country called the United States of America rather than the Obamanation that it has become. More importantly, the Russian Revolution would have failed, and the scourge of world Communism it's 100 million victims might have also survived. And with no Communism to set back world progress 100 years, I'd have my flying car by now!

The Loophole is Obama

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Jul 31, 2014 8:41 AM
Think about that a minute. We have a "anti-sex trafficking" law that requires certain illegal aliens from certain countries to be granted amnesty -- but only if nobody already here cares a whit about what happens to them. And it never occurs to anyone -- least of all Ann Coulter -- why we would have such an idiotic law in the first place. Has it not occurred to anyone that if you simply don't allow illegal aliens into the country, you automatically also stop the sex traffic? Here's a crazy idea -- if we want to stop sex trafficking, how about we prosecute sex traffickers? I'm pretty sure there's already a law against it.