Policing a Riot

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 8:25 AM
I suppose your aim would be much better if a crazy 300 pound lineman charging you.

Policing a Riot

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 20, 2014 7:55 AM
John, I'm a Libertarian, but I see no more reason for cop to tolerate an unarmed attack on their person than I do any other citizen. The media, including Fox, have steadfastly refused to release Brown's weight and height, but it's obvious from the video that he's plenty large enough to kill a man with nothing more than his fists. Not that it matters. John, if a 300 pound football lineman was charging you even after hearing you discharge your weapon inside a vehicle 30 seconds before, I guarantee you would pump as many rounds into him as it took to drop him, same as that cop. If you ask me, the cop showed amazing constraint by placing only one lethal round into his tiny brain. He gave that moron 5 previous chances to live before he spent his last round to save himself. As for the "excessive force" of the Ferguson police confronting rioting and looting, the fact that there are no dead looters with 223 rounds through their heads proves the idiocy of that notion. The cops are SUPPOSED to look scary in a situation like that. If that had followed up the bluff with actual action, there would have been only one night of looting instead of 5.
The last time the muslims decided to take their founder's murderous lunatic ramblings seriously, they conquered half the world. But don't be alarmed -- in about a thousand years they calmed down and their Ottoman caliphate finally fell apart mostly on its own. Now that our Western Civilization has evolved to such an advanced state that we consider it "hate speech" to name our enemy and the idea of actually winning a war -- any war -- seems controversial, we probably won't win this one either. To be perfectly honest, we haven't really managed to win a war since 1945. The Cubs have a better record. But relax, we've always got the same option that ISIS gives the Christians -- we can convert. Besides, it will all be over in a thousand years or so.
Pat, you're forgetting that ISIS is a Frankenstein of our own making. They are rolling over the Kurds with the same guns and tanks that BO gave them when he recruited them to enforce his idiotic "red line" in Syria. I don't know if ISIS is an "existential threat", but I do know that we are responsible for creating this monster, and if we can't afford to kill it ourselves, we have a duty to at least provide the peasants with some pitchforks! The solution to this latest mess by our idiot-in-chief is to recognize Kurdistan as a discreet country and ally separate from Iraq, and provide them with whatever they need to defend their own turf.
I agree, these "Tax-free holidays" are idiotic, but I certainly wouldn't hold up New Hampshire as a model for how to tax its citizens. It has the third highest property tax in the nation. Why would anyone favor a system that allows the state to arbitrarily decide for itself how much of your wealth to confiscate every year, regardless of any consideration of your ability to pay? I live in such a state -- Texas -- and my taxes each year are basically determined by how good a lawyer I can afford to fight my arbitrary property tax assessment each year. My assessment invariably increases 10%/year on my homestead residence despite the fact that I haven't seen a raise over 1% in 10 years. I was forced to downsize to a cheaper home two years ago and my first assessment on the new smaller house what 30% more that I paid for it! At least the bleeding will stop when I hit 65. They don't quit robbing you -- they just quit increasing it every year. Meanwhile, I have a retirement lot that I purchased back when I thought retirement might someday be an option. I can't unload it due to the Obama depression and I can't claim a homestead because I don't live there. So the state calls it "commercial" property because it's on an "airport" (actually a residential airpark that FORBIDS commercial activity). There are NO limits on yearly tax increases for "commercial" property. The first year I owned it, they arbitrarily declared it was worth twice what I paid for it, and they have since steadfastly refused to revise it down -- even after the market crash, when the developer was selling identical lots for a quarter of the price I paid. I'm still paying taxes on twice what I paid for it even though I haven't been able to sell it for half the price. There's your great "tax free" haven of Texas. I'd take income and sales tax any day over this corrupt system.

Are We Going Broke?

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 09, 2014 7:56 AM
Relax, John. You forgot Yellen's magic money machine. Nobody ever said that us dumb seniors who "invested" 15% of our lifetime wages in the government Ponzi scheme had to be paid back with real money. And besides, if you check Linda Chavez's column this week, you'll find she's already solved this problem. All it takes is 50 million Mexicans.

Medicare Solution

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 08, 2014 9:55 AM
That's the great puzzle. Linda's only apparent tie to the aliens is her Spanish surname. Her family came here from Spain, not Mexico. Its like there's some secret Spanish global conquest that they all secretly still aspire to.
We used to understand this fundamental principal of war back in the olden days when we used to win wars: When you buy an acre with the blood of your children, it's yours -- DON'T GIVE IT BACK TO YOUR ENEMY. Water under the bridge. Maybe Israel has been paying attention. In any case, Iraq is gone. Kurdistan is not. If we had any sense we would recognize Kurdistan as a discreet country and an ally and give them the weapons and air support to defend their country against the barbarian horde that threatens it.

Medicare Solution

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 08, 2014 8:53 AM
So Linda, you're telling us that American socialism can be saved by an alien invasion? Wow, whodathunkit? So simple -- just open the floodgates and let all those hard-working tax-paying Mexicans come right in and sign up for the bennies. Linda, do you realize that you've just solved Socialist Conundrum -- how to convince people to work while paying them not to? There it was all along -- Mexicans! Why didn't we think of that? Just one question. If Socialism works so well for Mexicans, why have over 10% of them already moved here? Shouldn't Mexico be paradise on earth by now?

WWI Demons Live

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 07, 2014 1:33 PM
And all it took to swing the RINO's around was a civilian cruise ship that Wilson packed full of illegal munitions headed for Britain, knowing it would be sunk by a German U-boat (after he leaked the intel to them, of course). 1200 civilians, including 128 Americans had to die to drag the RINO's into line for Wilson's war. Just one of the lesser-known Dumbocrat atrocities.

WWI Demons Live

Harrison Bergeron Wrote: Aug 07, 2014 9:36 AM
Jonah, you missed the most important point. Yes, WW1 was an monumental slaughter over the idiotic European notion of aristocratic pride. It had nothing to do with "defending freedom". They picked teams exactly the same way kids pick teams for kickball -- cool kids vs the nerds. But it was the "cool" kids of the Democrat Party that drug US in and determined the outcome. Naturally, they picked the wrong side -- the cool (stupid) kids of England, France, and Russia who had stupidly allowed the death of millions their own children over the assassination of a Serbian Duke nobody had even heard of. If not for Wilson, the German nerds would have won. And none of the calamities you mentioned that followed -- Versailles, Hitler, WW2, world communism, 7 million dead jews, 100 million dead victims of Communism -- would have happened. Like most of the monumental stupidity that goes on in this world, you can lay it all at the doorstep of the "cool" party -- the Dumbocrats.