Secession was never the issue. Of course, any state has the right to secede. But not simply so that they can continue to violate the personal liberty of its citizens. America had an obligation to invade the South to end the barbaric practice of slavery, whether it was a foreign country or not. After it was beaten, it was re-absorbed. To the victor goes the spoils.
Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" has been a box-office hit and nominated for 12 Academy Awards, including best picture, best director and best actor for Daniel Day-Lewis, who portrayed our 16th president. I haven't seen the movie; therefore, this column is not about the movie but about a man deified by many. My colleague Thomas DiLorenzo, economics professor at Loyola University Maryland, exposed some of the Lincoln myth in his 2006 book, "Lincoln Unmasked." Now comes Joseph Fallon, cultural intelligence analyst and former U.S. Army Intelligence Center instructor, with his new e-book, "Lincoln Uncensored." Fallon's book examines 10 volumes of collected writings and...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 12 hours ago