As Americans everywhere found out with their first paychecks of the new year, Congress failed to reauthorize the temporary payroll tax cut that expired. This could result in between 300,000...
In response to:
So, w-smith, if I promise to buy my wife a new car in two months and I lose my job I should still go buy that car because I already authorized her to buy it? Or if I promise to buy a new car for my wife and the bank turns me down for credit I should still insist they raise my credit limit so I can incur the new debt that I can't pay for.
The deal that Congress came to on the fiscal cliff last week was a combination of half-measures, compromise, and kicking-the-can that nobody seemed to like but was overwhelmingly approved. Most of the meaures that constituted the cliff stood poised to harm the economy over the next two years - and Congress' failure to offset the cost of averting the cliff will result in a worse economy in the long run.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 19 minutes ago
- NYT: Sink loss “devastating” for Democrats, was driven by ObamaCare Mary Katharine Ham 48 minutes ago
- Zuckerberg: U.S. government is a threat to the Internet Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Kerry: I’m approaching the Keystone XL pipeline with a totally blank slate Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- The government doesn’t know how many empty buildings it owns — just that they’re costing us billions Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- WSJ/NBC poll: Americans now think sugar is a bigger health threat than marijuana Allahpundit 3 hours ago