Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 mins ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago