Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- The Marysville school shooting was politicized in about, oh… three minutes Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago