"Detroit" isn't considering an ice rink. The funding is coming from team owners and bonds that 're-capture' tax revenue for a period of time. The site produces no tax base at this time and would likely remain blight if nothing happens. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Detroit Broke City

Greg417 Wrote: Aug 02, 2013 8:16 AM
Living in Detroit...please, please, please, no gov't bailouts. The tough love is working and there is a new entrupenurial spirit that just may bring this city back. If we can keep the politicians from blowing it...
Modern day Teapot Dome...lol.
Just speculating of course, but I'd bet he handed out invitations at work, expressed his views pretty clearly on serving with gays, and had likely been warned about it verbally. He's in a position of leadership, he gives up his right to advocate political views (which I'm guessing he went beyond just saying "I support DOMA"). MSGT's aren't known for their sensitivty and tact, so there's likely more to the story...and as an officer, I don't recall very many radical liberals looking to push agendas. The disciplining officers were probably just as uncomfortable reprimanding this guy, lol.
As a military member...the Master Sgt should know better. You give up the right to engage in political activity while in uniform and you have know right to link your military position to political views. I've seen the policy enforced against liberal/conservative/Republican/Democrat views. If he doesn't feel he can remain apolitical while on duty, he should retire. (Btw, I likely agree with most of his views on a personal level, but know they can't be linked to my military position). An apolitical, professional military is essential to our democracy.

Who Pays Their Fair Share?

Greg417 Wrote: Apr 23, 2013 8:09 AM
Consumption tax is an interesting idea, but nothing should be excluded. If you open the door to food, medicine, essential clothes...arguments/lobbying develop over Walmart shorts vs. Versace dress...asprin vs. dental veneers vs. broken leg...McDonald's vs. Ruth Chris or Cabbage vs. Twinkies. Fair means everyone pays a share!

Food Stamp Fraud and Twinkies

Greg417 Wrote: Apr 22, 2013 10:38 AM
Good point below that it's not just poor recipients we should be targeting for fraud prevention. Major grocery/retail/food producing/agriculture corporations spend plenty of lobbying dollars on maintainting this profit stream.

Food Stamp Fraud and Twinkies

Greg417 Wrote: Apr 22, 2013 10:35 AM
I lived in a poorer area a few years ago and it was well known that you could purchase someone else's food stamps for about $0.50 on the dollar. Although the program did help some in real need, most recipients got far more than they used and were always eager to sell. This doesn't include the 'single' moms living with baby daddy who didn't count his income in the need equation.

Philadelphia's Burqa Crisis

Greg417 Wrote: Feb 22, 2013 9:55 AM
Concur...true conservatism even protects those things we may personally not be comfortable with.

How Can You Close the College Saving Gap?

Greg417 Wrote: Feb 14, 2013 8:42 AM
You seem to miss a very important point (one our society and government seem to miss). He should manage his daughters expectations and explore all low cost alternatives. Community colleges offer a excellent opportunity to keep costs down during the first 2 yrs of school. The military offers a tremendous value in the GI Bill if the children are inclined to enlist. The problem today is that many parents/children expect the Ivy Covered walls-No Working-Frat parties on Sat Night experience.
Yes, there are general differences, but there were a few women I'd rather have covering me than some of the "men" I see around today....lol. Seriousily, the content of character and ability are what matter in who I'd want next to me. Look at the success of Soviet/Yugoslav partisans, etc...why not use all available tools at our disposal (human and equipment) to win the conflict we choose to enter.