The Affordable Care Act is based on the belief that our current system of health care is a mess and only the government can fix it efficiently. This...
That's why high-deductible, low cost catastrophic health plans should be available for those who want them. In most states, these kinds of plans are not available because of the regulatory capture insurance companies have achieved over state licensing boards and the fact that ignorant politicians think they are helping people when they require all kinds of perks, like breast reconstruction in plans. If people want plans with breast reconstruction, let them find one with it, and not force the rest of us to subsidize it.
With the future of the Affordable Care Act resting on the decision of the Supreme Court as early as next week, the future of American health care generally is up in the air. If the Act (or significant portions of it) is struck down, there will be a legislative rush to erect something new from its rubble. Unfortunately, hasty legislation is often bad legislation, so we need to consider alternatives now.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Citizen legislator Sen. Mary Landrieu doesn’t really live in Louisiana Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 6 hours ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 8 hours ago