"After Moammar Gadhafi's downfall as Libya's tyrannical ruler, politicians and 'experts' in the U.S. and elsewhere, including French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, are saying that his death marked the end of 42 years of tyranny and the beginning of democracy in Libya. Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., said Gadhafi's death represented an opportunity for Libya to make a peaceful and responsible transition to democracy. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said, 'Now it is time for Libya's Transitional National Council to show the world that it will respect the rights of all...
Perhaps the best thing the US can do for these countries is not to extend foreign aid, but a good example of human rights, free markets, and individual liberty. Of course that means getting our own house in order – we’ve got some work to do along those lines.
Here's the first paragraph of my last year's column "Democracy Is Impossible":
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 49 minutes ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Paul Ryan, 2016? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 4 hours ago