Liberal Washington Post editorial page commentator Ruth Marcus sees sexism in the Republican opposition to naming the current U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, as Hillary Clinton’s replacement as Secretary of State. Marcus trots out a well-worn story from the 1970s. She relates the formidable Alice Rivlin’s recollections as first Director of the Congressional Budget Office. “Over my dead body will we have a woman in that job” was the reaction of the House Budget Committee Chairman. (Chairman, Ooh! Bad!) That was Dr. Rivlin’s testimony. Dr. Rivlin sailed through confirmation to chair the CBO and is widely respected...
In response to:
In fairness, though, are either of them worse than any of the other, recent democrat Secretaries of State? Hillary "Bump and Grind" Clinton? Madeleine "Nutso" Albright? Christopher "Blinky" Warren? Only when you compare her to Republican Secretaries of State do either S. Rice or Kerry look bad.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 11 hours ago