New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who politicized the Sandy Hook tragedy within hours last Friday, just wrapped up a press conference announcing new plans to fight gun violence and to counter the National Rifle Association with his own Super PAC. Bloomberg was asked by a reporter to respond to Rep. Louie Gohmert's comments over the weekend that he wished the principal of the school, who died trying to take down shooter Adam Lanza, had a gun. Bloomberg responded by saying, "There are dumb statements and then there are stupid statements.....I don't know what the gun would have...
In response to:
As it is well established in the law that the police have no duty to protect citizens why would you want to limit the options that teachers have to defend themselves. Your statement also fails to recognize the fact that in many cases the presence of a law abiding citizen carrying a weapon serves as a deterent even when it is not used such as in the mall shooting in Oregon where a nutjob retreated to a stairwell and killed himself after a mall shopper with a legal weapon presented himself. Had the armed citizen not been there it is likely that the shooter would have continued his shooting spree.
- Panetta: Obama’s bad decisions on Syria and Iraq led to rise of ISIS Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- Disaster: 130,000 refugees flee ISIS, cross into Turkey Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 17 hours ago