President Obama rehashed many familiar themes this evening, calling on Congress to act on a host of issues -- and vowing to take unilateral executive action if they fail to sufficiently address his priorities. A few passages were newsworthy: Obama denounced the looming sequester cuts, voiced support for "modest" Medicare reforms, called for another stimulus, resurrected cap and trade, pushed comprehensive immigration reform, backed a national hike in the minimum wage, announced another major troop draw-down in Afghanistan, and insisted that Congress allow up-or-down votes on a series of gun control measures. As is his habit, the president was...
Better education is impossible with teachers uninons and federal government mandates imposing the latest left-wing egghead idea of the week on frazzled school districts across the land. Obama is a top-down central planner. Education is a one-on-one, local phenomenon. It simply CANNOT be made into a one-size-fits-all program. And please don't use an Affirmative Action College red-carpet token to exemplify educational excellence.
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- China draws its own “red line” …on North Korea Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- IRS to give up, release all Lerner e-mails, documents Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Ukraine: Another 3 AM wake-up call going unheeded Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Welfare reform is officially on life support in NYC Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Why won’t the White House explain how off-budget ObamaCare money got spent? Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago