The answer is: Not much. It turns out we elect lawmakers so they can hold our time and safety hostage. When Congress passed and the president signed the 2011 Budget Control Act, all parties agreed that the act's $1.2 trillion in "sequester" cuts over 10 years would be so terrible that a bipartisan supercommittee would be forced to present a better plan...
It's all about posturing and demagoguing for the next election. For a politician, nothing is more important than their personal power - period.
If President Barack Obama, the Republican House and the Democratic Senate cannot cut $85 billion from this year's $3.8 trillion budget without laying off first responders, tying up airport security lines and furloughing food safety inspectors, what good are they?
- Look how the Export-Import Bank is using your tax money Jazz Shaw 52 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 16 hours ago