See my comments on Facebook. This issue requires more than a sound bite. The important point is, when it comes to education, after intelligence, attitude is everything. “Monkey see; monkey do.” If parents want their kids to learn, then they need to exhibit a proactive attitude towards learning themselves. Are you visibly and actively trying to acquire new knowledge and skills yourself? If visibly trying to improve yourself, your kids will pick up on that. The real problem is not the quality of the schools, it is that kids are told they are passive beings to BE educated rather than active beings capable of teaching themselves.
Nearly two years ago, U.S. News & World Report came out with a story titled "Educators Implicated in Atlanta Cheating Scandal." It reported that "for 10 years, hundreds of Atlanta public school teachers and principals changed answers on state tests in one of the largest cheating scandals in U.S. history." More than three-quarters of the 56 Atlanta schools investigated had cheated on the National Assessment of Educational Progress test, sometimes called the national report card. Cheating orders came from school administrators and included brazen acts such as teachers reading answers aloud during the test and erasing incorrect answers. One teacher told...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago