On Oct. 19, 2009, Deputy Attorney General David Ogden released a memo that instructed the Department of Justice not to focus federal resources "on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana."...
William, marijuana was made illegal in 1937 for 3 reasons: 1. They didn't want to lay off the prohibition cops after prohibition's repeal so they turned them loose on marijuana. 2. William Randolph Hearst owned large forests that he chopped down to make paper for his newspapers. He didn't want the competition from cheaper, more environmentally friendly hemp based paper. 3. The DuPont chemical company wanted to sell nylon ropes to the navy who had previously used ropes made of hemp. So, they made marijuana illegal. The government wasn't interested in helping people, only themselves.
Like a lot of Californians, Stockton businessman Matt Davies, 34, expected that when Barack Obama was elected in 2008, the new administration would not prosecute medical marijuana dispensaries operating under a law passed by California voters in 1996. After all, as a candidate, Obama contended that he saw federal enforcement against medical marijuana as a waste of resources.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 13 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 15 hours ago