When Government Tries to Be Nice

Gid4 Wrote: Jul 09, 2014 8:34 AM
Looking at my own comment - it seems to contradict itself. while many businesses benefit by illegal labor, my meaning is that there is no proof that either Republicans or Democrats vote on that basis. They may be competing for votes, or may believe it is inhumane to have "people living in the shadows with feat of deportation". I don't know.

When Government Tries to Be Nice

Gid4 Wrote: Jul 09, 2014 8:31 AM
I see the argument often that the chamber-of-commerce (ie businesses) want cheap labor, and that is why they want amnesty. But I have seen no proof offered that this is their motivation. Likewise, I doubt John Boehner is paying off supporters who want cheap labor. I am against illegal immigration, and I think our current legal immigration policy should be changed, but if you want to persuade people, you have to understand them first. My parents had friends who owned a peach orchard in Maryland, and they used migrant workers (I think illegal) to pick their fruit. They had tried Americans first, but the Americans would find the work was hard, and would drift away after a day or two. Perhaps if we did not have a welfare system, this would not happen. But given that we do, and given that illegal immigrants are easy to hire and fire (no regulations, no lawsuits, no benefits), people - including Mom-and-Pop businesses, are going to hire them.

The Paranoids are Back

Gid4 Wrote: Jun 28, 2014 4:54 PM
There are several YouTube videos on Common Core, including by teachers who complain about it. I doubt that Paul Greenberg spent more than ten minutes studying the materials.

This is How You Lose a War

Gid4 Wrote: Jun 13, 2014 6:42 AM
Vietnam fell to the Communists after our withdrawal because our congress refused to give them the arms and aid we had promised. And that was despite the South Vietnamese putting up a brave fight at the end. (Its true they might have lost anyway, but we made it a certainty) There seems to be a pattern here, we fight for a while, we lose a lot of people, we leave in anger and disillusionment, and then we won't do what is required to make the sacrifice of our soldiers mean something. A month ago, Obama was asked by Iraq to bomb the staging areas of ISIS, but he refused to do it. So we lose again. Kissinger said that " To be an enemy of America can be dangerous, but to be a friend is fatal." Mark Steyn calls us the "ADHD nation." We just don't have staying power - we eventually vote in left-wingers or isolationists who lost the fragile peace.
In the Soviet Union, some political opponents of the regime were put in mental hospitals, where they were injected with drugs etc. After all, if you disagree with the obvious truths of Communism, you must be crazy. I was put in a mental hospital for two months and given all sorts of treatments, because I believed there was a compromising movie of me loose in the colleges of the US, and other countries. After I got out, I still believed this crazy delusion. Then I got even crazier - I believed that I was drugged with 'aphrodisiacs' and other drugs. I still believe that too. But again, I don't want to shoot anyone. (A nuclear bomb, on the other hand....(just a joke). Seriously, I want the truth to reach the public (and myself). If I'm mentally ill, I want to know it, if I'm not - wow - this should make the mental health establishment due some serious thinking.

Don't Stigmatize Murderers!

Gid4 Wrote: May 30, 2014 11:25 AM
Actually not all the therapists got it wrong, the last one (who prescribed risperidone) did it get it right, but he didn't realize that his patient would go out and murder. The police got it wrong - I don't blame them for being fooled by Eliott when they interviewed him, but then they were sent videos, and did not bother to watch them.

Don't Stigmatize Murderers!

Gid4 Wrote: May 30, 2014 11:02 AM
Its not that I don't think he should have been locked up. But notice: he was treated by "therapists", and they got it wrong. I am in agreement with you basically, but I was just making the point that if you treat someone with "medications" that alter the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain, and may affect DNA expression as well, but you don't know how exactly, and the person has a autistic disorder, then its sort of like trying to repair a broken washing machine with a hammer.

Don't Stigmatize Murderers!

Gid4 Wrote: May 30, 2014 10:56 AM
I should not have said "I think". The Daily Beast has the headline: "Don’t Blame Asperger’s for Massacres" and then says: First Adam Lanza, now Elliot Rodger—both reported as having Asperger’s. But making the leap from an autism spectrum disorder to violence (especially murder) is dangerously wrong.

Don't Stigmatize Murderers!

Gid4 Wrote: May 30, 2014 8:11 AM
I think Eliott had aspergers (like Adam Lanza did). Aspergers has to do with a brain that developed in the wrong way, so maybe drugs like risperidone would not have helped. I don't deny that the various psychiatric drugs that are available do help some (not all) of the mentally ill, but Ann Coulter should realize that we really don't know 1) how the drugs work 2) what exactly is wrong with the brain of these people Compared with heart disease, where we can see a blockage, and put in a stent that does some good (but is not perfect, since its not as elastic as an artery) the brain is a dark continent.

Modern World is Still Premodern in Many Ways

Gid4 Wrote: May 15, 2014 11:37 AM
There is a joke about a village of simpletons that are searching for something at night - so they search for it under their one street light, because there they can see things. In our case, we don't see what is going on in the prisons of Iran, Russia, North Korea, etc., but we do see some over-sexed sleazy team owner saying some mildly bigoted remarks to his sleazy girl-friend.