As a native Californian, I have looked with disgust upon much of this state's fiscal irresponsibility for several years now. Fortunately, I could care less about this latest round of inane ballot initiatives--which would normally cause physical illness--since I am moving to Austin, TX (June/July 2013) and the plethora of problems facing this miserable welfare state will no longer be mine to bear.
When he ran for governor of California in 2010, Jerry Brown traded on cryptic pledges -- most notably, "no new taxes without voter approval" -- that, like pronouncements by the oracle at Delphi, could mean whatever listeners wanted to hear. Most insiders figured that Brown wanted to raise taxes but was too cagey to tell voters, who had rejected a tax-increasing ballot measure by a 2-1 ratio in 2009. It is because Brown was so darn clever that Californians now are stuck with a Hobson's choice -- vote for his Proposition 30 and raise taxes that could kill jobs in a...
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 38 minutes ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Planned Parenthood teen sex education: You could get tied to a tree … Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago