Society is gradually becoming more liberal – or libertine – in many ways, and one of the latest trends is the gradual legalization of marijuana in one state after another. This past election, voters approved marijuana for legal (recreational) use in Colorado and Washington. Marijuana has been legalized for recreational or medicinal use in 13 states, with more states to consider it soon. 15 million Americans are regular users of marijuana, a little over 5% of of the population. It seems problematic to criticize its legalization from a logical perspective considering alcohol, another psychoactive substance, is legal. If it is acceptable...
In response to:
"What should 'frighten' even proponents is that " - "frighten'" is a hot link to a Scientology web site. "addictive" - "... 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it." -- "Legalization of marijuana would solve the marijuana problem the way legalizing speeding would solve the speeding problem: it would remove the legal inhibition of a dangerous behavior, and thereby encourage the behavior." Logic fault --Speeding is going above the legal speed limit. If speeding were legal, it would not be speeding and could not be done. Where there are no stated (law) or posted speed limit, there is no speeding. Fast driving is not dangerous if there are no reasons to drive slowly. -Drivers who drive too slowly cause many crashes.
- Revealed: ICE released some illegals charged with violent crimes — after telling Americans they hadn’t Allahpundit 31 mins ago
- Latest viral video: Priests doing a dance-off in the Vatican* Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Arbiter orders NFL commissioner to testify in hearing on Rice appeal Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, John-Henry Westen, Jason Mattera Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- “Machete-wielding mob” hinders Ebola relief effort Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- WaPo factchecker to Grimes: You should be ashamed of yourself Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago