Society is gradually becoming more liberal – or libertine – in many ways, and one of the latest trends is the gradual legalization of marijuana in one state after another. This past election, voters approved marijuana for legal (recreational) use in Colorado and Washington. Marijuana has been legalized for recreational or medicinal use in 13 states, with more states to consider it soon. 15 million Americans are regular users of marijuana, a little over 5% of of the population. It seems problematic to criticize its legalization from a logical perspective considering alcohol, another psychoactive substance, is legal. If it is acceptable...
In response to:
"What should 'frighten' even proponents is that " - "frighten'" is a hot link to a Scientology web site. "addictive" - "... 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it." -- "Legalization of marijuana would solve the marijuana problem the way legalizing speeding would solve the speeding problem: it would remove the legal inhibition of a dangerous behavior, and thereby encourage the behavior." Logic fault --Speeding is going above the legal speed limit. If speeding were legal, it would not be speeding and could not be done. Where there are no stated (law) or posted speed limit, there is no speeding. Fast driving is not dangerous if there are no reasons to drive slowly. -Drivers who drive too slowly cause many crashes.
- Video: Doctor quarantined in California after return from Liberia Ed Morrissey 16 mins ago
- Science: Nobel Prize-winning doctor backs Christie’s quarantine plan Noah Rothman 56 mins ago
- The middle class can’t afford to live in liberal cities Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- In two New York districts, two trouncings to warm your heart Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- TSA confiscates a toy ray-gun belt buckle. Because security. Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago