The simplistic, if understandable, answer to that question for many conservatives is right now. The national debt has surpassed our GDP, we're borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend, and our unpaid-for federal obligations already exceed $80 trillion. We're in dire straits; there's no escaping that. But there's also no escaping certain political realities: The public isn't feeling especially charitable toward Congressional Republicans these days, Democrats control 55 Senate seats, and this president will occupy the Oval Office for the next four years. If the GOP is seeking to apply pressure on the Left to improve our...
In response to:
Substitute the word "American" for "western".
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 22 minutes ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago