For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
The same thing happened to me in a freshman history class many, many years ago. This mental pollution by universities has been going on for a long, long time. It has weakened us markedly.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 41 minutes ago
- NYT: Sink loss “devastating” for Democrats, was driven by ObamaCare Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Zuckerberg: U.S. government is a threat to the Internet Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Kerry: I’m approaching the Keystone XL pipeline with a totally blank slate Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- The government doesn’t know how many empty buildings it owns — just that they’re costing us billions Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- WSJ/NBC poll: Americans now think sugar is a bigger health threat than marijuana Allahpundit 4 hours ago