For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
The same thing happened to me in a freshman history class many, many years ago. This mental pollution by universities has been going on for a long, long time. It has weakened us markedly.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- Not exactly self-isolation: Ebola patient’s itinerary prompts questions about protocols Ed Morrissey 42 mins ago
- Does Georgia vote Democratic in 2014? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Martha Coakley’s campaign seems to be in mid-collapse Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Half of Americans willing to pay zero additional dollars for EPA carbon regs Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Video: Hatchet-wielding attacker has “Islamic extremist leanings” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago