Seventy-five years, millions of arrests and billions of dollars later, we are still living with the consequences of that ignorant, ill-considered decision, which nationalized a policy that punishes peaceful people and squanders taxpayer money in a blind vendetta...
In response to:
Alcohol prohibition did not work - it created the black market, the mob, and countless criminals, who would not have been otherwise. Why? Because if there is one thing Americans don't like - its being told they can't do something - especially if it isn't hurting anyone else. Marijuana prohibition does not work either - it never has. The $Trillion dollars that has been spent on our 40 year war on drugs has resulted in drugs being easier and cheaper than ever to get than before the drug war. For a TINY fraction of the cost of the war on drugs we could set up treatment centers for those who want help quitting - and then we could just leave everyone else alone. All of our laws already address driving while ability impaired.
Shortly before the House of Representatives approved a federal ban on marijuana in 1937, the Republican minority leader, Bertrand Snell of New York, confessed, "I do not know anything about the bill." The Democratic majority leader, Sam Rayburn of Texas, educated him. "It has something to do with something that is called marihuana," Rayburn said. "I believe it is a narcotic of some kind."
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago