When I was in grade school, I remember going to birthday parties at the local bowling alley. Before the games would begin, the workers would install bumpers inside the gutters in order to prevent gutter balls and avoid "failure." When I was growing up, it was common for sports teams to award trophies to all the players so no little kid would have his or her feelings hurt at the end of the season. Today, there are school districts which no longer give out "F'" grades, and hundreds of high schools have removed class ranks so that my generation will feel...
In response to:
The trouble with free or heavily subsidised university places is that students will study mickey mouse courses. It's not their own or their parents' money they are wasting. When I was a university, someone had written a note on the wall in one of the toilets, pointing to the toilet paper dispenser. It said, " Sociology Degrees. Please take one." I suspect the same could be said of Women's Studies, Black Studies, etc.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Enjoy Sec. Donald Rumsfeld’s Tax Day letter to the IRS Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Is the wind lobby’s most precious subsidy finally losing steam in Congress? Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- “Russia has not invaded Ukraine,” and other great moments in Russian propaganda Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Video: Trump to buy the Buffalo Bills? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 5 hours ago