When I was in grade school, I remember going to birthday parties at the local bowling alley. Before the games would begin, the workers would install bumpers inside the gutters in order to prevent gutter balls and avoid "failure." When I was growing up, it was common for sports teams to award trophies to all the players so no little kid would have his or her feelings hurt at the end of the season. Today, there are school districts which no longer give out "F'" grades, and hundreds of high schools have removed class ranks so that my generation will feel...
In response to:
The trouble with free or heavily subsidised university places is that students will study mickey mouse courses. It's not their own or their parents' money they are wasting. When I was a university, someone had written a note on the wall in one of the toilets, pointing to the toilet paper dispenser. It said, " Sociology Degrees. Please take one." I suspect the same could be said of Women's Studies, Black Studies, etc.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Canada’s Sergeant at Arms gets standing ovation after shooting terrorist while wearing tails Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Poll: Republican gubernatorial candidate up two points in…Illinois? Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Breaking: New Ebola case in NYC Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago
- Obama: Hey Georgia, do me a solid and elect Michelle Nunn Guy Benson 9 hours ago
- FBI warns ISIS trying to kidnap journalists abroad Noah Rothman 10 hours ago