It was Clausewitz, the military strategist, who famously defined war as politics by other means. Politics in turn could be defined as history determined by other means. For each present political choice tends to come with its own view of the past. It would be hard to find a better example of that tendency than Tuesday night's presidential debate, which was not only a clash of candidates but of pasts. Which explains the competing narratives on display as Barack Obama and Mitt Romney came out of their respective corners and started swinging, each presenting a different past. You pays your...
People keep saying about the 2nd pres debate how Obama "won on points". But this isn't a high school debating contest. It is about the direction the United States takes. On substance, I think Romney won as big as he did the 1st debate, maybe even bigger. The polls about the 2nd debate show that I am not the only who feels this way. The polls gave a slight edge to Obama in terms of "who won". But when asked who won in the subject of the economy, Romney was the clear winner by around 20 percentage points. In my opinion on the subject of the economy, Romney beat Obama even bigger in the 2nd debate than he did in the 1st. Obama can have his victory in the high school debate. Romney's win on substance is a win for ALL of us, Left too.
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 17 mins ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Liberal magazine cautions journalists WH playing them with shutdown fears, is ignored Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Awful: Nine-year-old girl accidentally shoots instructor with Uzi Allahpundit 3 hours ago