You see the signs everywhere: "We accept EBT." Fast-food restaurants do. Clothing retailers do. Auto repair shops, liquor stores and even sushi joints are joining the club. "EBT" stands for the federal government's electronic benefits transfer card, which is intended to provide poor people with food stamps and cash...
Gofer, I saw the same thing happen in a grocery store directly across the street from the government agency that takes care of food stamps. This was in Portsmouth, VA. I was in line and had $20.00 on me to be some groceries. The woman in front of me was dressed extremely nice and had a bunch of groceries. She had steaks and beer and wine. The cashier told her she couldn't pay for the beer and wine with the food stamps(WIC) so she literally wipped out a roll of money and paid for it separately. She then went outside and got into her WELFARE CADILAC. I had a job in the family business. We had 5 furniture stores, and couldn't afford what she had. If you don't have anything and a minority, you can live better than a hardworking person.
From New York to New Mexico and across the dependent plains, welfare recipients are getting sauced on the public dime. Drunk, besotted, bombed. But while politicians pay lip service to cutting government waste, fraud and abuse, they're doing very little in practice to stop the EBT party excesses. Where's the compassion for taxpayers?
- Enjoy Sec. Donald Rumsfeld’s Tax Day letter to the IRS Mary Katharine Ham 28 minutes ago
- Is the wind lobby’s most precious subsidy finally losing steam in Congress? Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- “Russia has not invaded Ukraine,” and other great moments in Russian propaganda Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Video: Trump to buy the Buffalo Bills? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Biofuels producers: No really, this is the year biofuels are going to take off, for serious Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago