There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:22 AM
Re: Maryann45, "If this was a perfect world I would be a Libertarian too " If this were a perfect world, I would be a Statist because I would then know that government is populated by veritable angels and not corrupt individuals, the most corrupt among us. Your thinking is totally backwards. The very reason to be free is precisely that man is fallible. It is through freedom to interact and to KNOW that we can minimize the hazards and risks cused by thieves, cheats and liars. Instead, with a government, people tend to lower their guard, thinking that Daddy Government is there to protect them - leading to what we've seen for years.

There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:18 AM
Re: vietnamvet, "To convert us to his libertarian view, Stossel would have to write his book of laws for us to read." Really??? So you need a WHOLE BOOK of laws to tell you that you should not kill, steal or lie? Are you such a BARBARIAN that what comes naturally to the rest of us, it must come out of a BOOK for YOU to get an understand? I am glad I don't live near you - I just won't know when you will get off.

There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:15 AM
Re: shubi, "Stossel makes the false premise conservatives think laws make people more virtuous" Hence sodomy laws, prostitution prohibitions, drug laws, don't really exist? Conservatives love them - Ok, conservative STATISTS, which are not unlike their brethren on the left. But they are positivist attempts at making man virtuous.

There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:11 AM
Re: John5840, "Yep. I like the part about providing for the general welfare." 'Providing for the general welfare' means making sure rights are protected, not that Congress provides money or handouts. Progressives tend to twist the clear meaning of words to ideas that are not contained in those words. Some people call that "lying."

There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:08 AM
Re: John5840, "Stossel mentioned reforms in labor laws, but that is partly the point." You missed the point entirely. Sweden was much worse before the reforms. Germany was becoming another France, which I am pretty sure the Germans abhored.

There Ought Not to Be a Law

ftorres Wrote: Aug 15, 2012 11:06 AM
Re: John5840, "Sorry, that is rarely an argument for socialism. " Oh, you would be surprised, John. I've seen iterations of that same argument: People cannot govern themselves; government is the only one that can be the steward of civilization; people are too greedy, or too ignorant; government is populated by the best people of society (that one came from a Mexican cartoonist who is a Castro supporter.) I've seen them all.

Wars To End War

ftorres Wrote: Aug 08, 2012 10:35 AM
Re: John55, "You Stossel and libertarian haters fail to realize. If the GOP would simply stop[...] " Libertarians are not GOP. I couldn't care less about what the GOP does or does not do. Besides, as a libertarian I don't care what people do in their personal lives. I DO care about abortion, since abortion is the initiation of violence against another and innocent person.

Wars To End War

ftorres Wrote: Aug 08, 2012 10:29 AM
Re: Corbett, "I am not suggesting we completely abolish the military" Actually, the US Government *should*, IF they take their oath to defend and obey the Constitution.
Re: Reco, "Castro came to power with the support of the majority of Cubans" That's a lie. The majority of Cubans were rural people who couldn't care less - until the new Cuban government tried to collectivize them.
Re: chemurdered, Yes, he was murdered. So were his numerous victims - by him. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Re: Mr. Conservative, "People are saying that he must be held responsible for what he said[...]" Must be held responsible by whom? The government? Contrary to what the Bill of Rights indicates? Because you're free to plunk down your money wherever you want, but the Left (embodied by those city mayors) is not talking about choice, they're talking about FORCE.