Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Enjoy Sec. Donald Rumsfeld’s Tax Day letter to the IRS Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Is the wind lobby’s most precious subsidy finally losing steam in Congress? Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- “Russia has not invaded Ukraine,” and other great moments in Russian propaganda Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Video: Trump to buy the Buffalo Bills? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 6 hours ago