Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago