Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Decision to release details of failed raid to free James Foley backfires on White House Noah Rothman 22 mins ago
- Philadelphia mayor prepares to fund Russian mob with new cigarette tax Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago