The great problem that underlies the truths expressed in this column is tragic in the extreme: The federal government **cannot be trusted.** It has proved many times to be utterly uninterested in the actual national interest, while viciously jealous of its prerogatives and relentless about using its mechanisms to expand its powers and perquisites. This is the consequence of a government in which 540 persons are elected but many millions of faceless others hold the real power. Those others cannot be ejected from their thrones by any measure available to us. They are absolutely immune to our displeasure or correction -- and they do exactly as they please.
- Abandon the fantasy. Hillary isn’t going anywhere Jazz Shaw 54 mins ago
- Ben Carson: You know what, I’m done talking about gay rights from now on Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Smelling blood in the water, Biden’s 2016 juggernaut seizes on Clinton’s woes Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Walker: I’ll sign a ban on late-term abortions Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- McConnell urges states to ignore Obama administration’s orders… no, the other ones Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Great news: Hillary’s e-mail server had a “misconfigured encryption system” Allahpundit 4 hours ago