The reason, we are told, is a change that Republicans have previously rejected but Democrats and Latino groups see as indispensable: a procedure for illegal immigrants to become legal residents and, eventually, citizens. Critics call it "amnesty" and say it will spur illegal immigration as surely as...
This column suggests that Chapman is no longer interested in hard thought. The bill currently being discussed IMMEDIATELY grants "probationary" status to illegals. What if the supposed border enforcement never happens? Would the illegals LOSE that status? I doubt it -- and that's the nub of the matter. The Democrats will not permit further border tightening. Obama has made that clear. Neither would Romney have done so...nor Bush II, nor a President McCain, nor a President Marco Rubio. Forget it, Mr. Chapman. We're not buying it.
To hear opponents tell it, you don't want to be standing along the U.S. border when an immigration reform bill becomes law. Millions of foreigners who were previously content in their native lands will hear about it, pack a bag and storm across the U.S. border, trampling anyone unlucky enough to be in the way.
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago