Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater accepted an invitation to visit an American military installation located in Bavaria, Germany. On "CBS Evening News" hosted by Walter Cronkite, correspondent Daniel Schorr said: "It is now clear that Sen. Goldwater's interview with Der Spiegel, with its hard line appealing to right-wing elements in Germany, was only the start of a move to link up with his opposite numbers in Germany." The reaction shot -- when the cameras returned to Cronkite -- showed the "most trusted man in America" gravely shaking...
What? A thoroughly advanced, highly cultured nation, in the mid 20th century goes cuckoo crazy and engages in an extended spree of inexplicable evil? A bunch of folks who should've known better march off in lockstep to destroy civilization, all the while convinced they're saving civilization? Yeah. As we all know, it really happened. So, when you have folks imagining that they're channeling some of the giants of history, our rightly vaunted Founding Fathers, but who are actually saying demented things and seem hell bent on doing demented things; and folks who'd rather not go through it again reach for maybe to easy a label, can you really blame them. If it looks like a duck ...
Maybe comparing Republicans to Nazis started with the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson presidential race.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Meet the laywers defending “campus rapists” Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Iran executes 967th person under Hassan Rouhani. And it’s a woman Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Chris McDaniel appeal rejected in state supreme court Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Video: Palin-bashing CNN anchor claimed Michelle Obama signed bill into law Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Everything is changing after Ferguson, and it should Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago