Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater accepted an invitation to visit an American military installation located in Bavaria, Germany. On "CBS Evening News" hosted by Walter Cronkite, correspondent Daniel Schorr said: "It is now clear that Sen. Goldwater's interview with Der Spiegel, with its hard line appealing to right-wing elements in Germany, was only the start of a move to link up with his opposite numbers in Germany." The reaction shot -- when the cameras returned to Cronkite -- showed the "most trusted man in America" gravely shaking...
What? A thoroughly advanced, highly cultured nation, in the mid 20th century goes cuckoo crazy and engages in an extended spree of inexplicable evil? A bunch of folks who should've known better march off in lockstep to destroy civilization, all the while convinced they're saving civilization? Yeah. As we all know, it really happened. So, when you have folks imagining that they're channeling some of the giants of history, our rightly vaunted Founding Fathers, but who are actually saying demented things and seem hell bent on doing demented things; and folks who'd rather not go through it again reach for maybe to easy a label, can you really blame them. If it looks like a duck ...
Maybe comparing Republicans to Nazis started with the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson presidential race.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago