Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Video: Remy solves “the ISIS crisis” as only he can Allahpundit 4 hours ago