Economists may not agree on much, but we all agree that economic output is a function of capital and labor. Ask a Keynesian, a Marxist, an Austrian, a monetarist, or any economist, and they’ll all agree that living standards are determined by the quality and quantity of these two factors of production.
So it should be very worrisome that there has been a big drop in the share of the population that is employed. Here’s a chart produced from Bureau of Labor Statistics data, showing labor force participation during the 21st Century.
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- White House: Obama didn’t really mean it when he said a vote for Nunn is a vote for a Dem majority Noah Rothman 32 mins ago
- Report: As many as seven wounded in shooting at Washington school; Update: One victim dead Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama meets Ebola survivor Nina Pham in the Oval Office Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Gallup poll shows Tea Party supporters the most motivated to vote Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Red line? ISIS used chemical weapons against Iraqi army Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Rise of Ebola and terrorism a perfect storm for the GOP? Noah Rothman 4 hours ago