Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
Ti the contrary, big business maximizes profit by employing resources (including labor) most efficiently. Again, far from "squeezing" anything, this has directky resulted in the greatest increase in compensation and prosperity - not to mention the greatest availability of goods at the lowest prices - in all of human history. The Luddite notion that technology reduces employment (or compensation) has likewise ended up on the scrap heap of history. That manufacturing jobs have been replaced by service jobs to a significant extent (in literally every country is meaniningless. Tital employment has continued to rise steadily and will continue to do so.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 18 hours ago