There's nothing intellectually challenging or unusual about poverty. For most of mankind's existence, his most optimistic scenario was to be able to eke out enough to subsist...
One quibble Dr. Willaims. While your point is absolutely correct as far as it goes, there is one case where structural poverty is created by this country (among others). It is by the actions of the government either in the form of maintaining a welfare state that undermines the normal incentives to advance in society or by government spending that removes resources from the private sector that would otherwise be available to create jobs or to be spent on charitable endeavors or due to governmental malinvestments that shift jobs from sustainable areas to unsustainable ones causing unemployment to spike in the bust. This country does not cause ANY INDIVIDUAL poverty, but government foul-ups ensure there is more than there would...
Here's a recent statement frequently suggested by leftist academics, think tank researchers and policymakers: "People were not just struggling because of their personal deficiencies. There were structural factors at play. People weren't poor because they made bad decisions. They were poor because our society creates poverty." Who made that statement and where it was made is not important at all, but its corrosive effects on the minds of black people, particularly black youths, are devastating.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 8 hours ago