There's nothing intellectually challenging or unusual about poverty. For most of mankind's existence, his most optimistic scenario was to be able to eke out enough to subsist...
One quibble Dr. Willaims. While your point is absolutely correct as far as it goes, there is one case where structural poverty is created by this country (among others). It is by the actions of the government either in the form of maintaining a welfare state that undermines the normal incentives to advance in society or by government spending that removes resources from the private sector that would otherwise be available to create jobs or to be spent on charitable endeavors or due to governmental malinvestments that shift jobs from sustainable areas to unsustainable ones causing unemployment to spike in the bust. This country does not cause ANY INDIVIDUAL poverty, but government foul-ups ensure there is more than there would...
Here's a recent statement frequently suggested by leftist academics, think tank researchers and policymakers: "People were not just struggling because of their personal deficiencies. There were structural factors at play. People weren't poor because they made bad decisions. They were poor because our society creates poverty." Who made that statement and where it was made is not important at all, but its corrosive effects on the minds of black people, particularly black youths, are devastating.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 17 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 19 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 19 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 19 hours ago