In response to:
Socialism is the exercise of the powers of ownership over the means of production, usually by the state. This is why universal health care falls under that definition ... and why it has been a universal failure invariably resulting in poorer care and rationing that is more lethal than any lack of insurance. As for US history since WWII, it demonstrates the disaster of socialist spending and taxes. The slashing of both created the post-war boom, the raising of both resulted in problems addressed by Kennedy's tax cuts, the not-so-Great Society was a disaster (particularly to those intended to be helped. Reagan's tax cuts were hugely successful; Clinton's tax hike slowed the economy to its weakest post-recession growth in history...
Given what we know in 2012, saying that capitalism will make a society richer than socialism should be about as controversial as saying the earth is round, not flat. Yet, a recent Gallup poll shows that more liberals have a positive view of socialism than capitalism. This is only possible because there are so many perverse incentives that drive the promotion of socialism. If you're a politician, socialism puts power in your hands while capitalism takes it away. If you want to use the government to control people's lives, socialism is a wonderful vehicle to do just that while...
- Kansas Dems reportedly trying to recruit … Kathleen Sebelius for Senate Allahpundit 39 minutes ago
- Lerner, DoJ discussed criminal prosecution of tax-exempt applicants Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: Ukrainian forces advancing in east as showdown nears Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Detroit cuts deal with retired first responders on pensions Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Did we miss the al-Qaeda convention? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Bloomberg to spend $50 million to “outmuscle” the NRA Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago