In response to:
Socialism is the exercise of the powers of ownership over the means of production, usually by the state. This is why universal health care falls under that definition ... and why it has been a universal failure invariably resulting in poorer care and rationing that is more lethal than any lack of insurance. As for US history since WWII, it demonstrates the disaster of socialist spending and taxes. The slashing of both created the post-war boom, the raising of both resulted in problems addressed by Kennedy's tax cuts, the not-so-Great Society was a disaster (particularly to those intended to be helped. Reagan's tax cuts were hugely successful; Clinton's tax hike slowed the economy to its weakest post-recession growth in history...
Given what we know in 2012, saying that capitalism will make a society richer than socialism should be about as controversial as saying the earth is round, not flat. Yet, a recent Gallup poll shows that more liberals have a positive view of socialism than capitalism. This is only possible because there are so many perverse incentives that drive the promotion of socialism. If you're a politician, socialism puts power in your hands while capitalism takes it away. If you want to use the government to control people's lives, socialism is a wonderful vehicle to do just that while...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Twitter blocks petition supporting Houston pastors Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Breaking: New White House fence-jumper taken down by K9s, apprehended Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Barack who? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- What election? Network news gives up on covering midterms Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Could Oregon’s First Lady sink the Governor next month? Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago