The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
"As for your "gun control" measures,they would have no effect in a nation that already has 300 million firearms in circulation,and that has a Second Amendment prohibiting what you propose" This is a fine example of the kind of NRA-inspired paranoia that may actually end up getting the 2nd amendment gutted or abolished. I don't care that there are over 300 million firearms in circulation, it's far too easy to buy number 3,000,001 illegally. People in law enforcement who have to deal with this have specific laws that they need enacted, ex stricter straw-purchaser penalties, that the NRA opposes on paranoid grounds. The 2nd amendment does not prohibit responsible regulation of firearms.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 32 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago