As part of her big-brother-knows-best "Let's Move!" campaign to combat childhood obesity, Michelle Obama has been arguing that certain inner-city urban neighborhoods and rural communities are "food deserts," where it's difficult for residents to find access to fresh, healthy, and nutritious food. Mrs. Obama's solution is for the federal government to funnel public money (or, as her esteemed husband might faultily term it, "make an investment") into bringing healthy food retailers into these neighborhoods. But, as with many centrally-planned nanny-state endeavors, the First Lady's taxpayer-funded project fails to attack the real core of the problem, ignores secondary effects,...
In response to:
And when you tell my children that they can't skate or bicycle without a helmet, they ask for a ride instead.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Jay Carney leaving the White House? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Ramirez on Attkisson’s departure Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago