In the wake of my last commentary on the horrendous Supreme Court decision upholding Obama's health care plan, several people have pointed out that I erred in saying that the income tax is a "direct tax." While it is technically correct that the Court ultimately declared it to be an excise, not a direct tax, it is important to understand how it arrived at that opinion and why the decision has no practical relevance to the way the tax has been enforced. Just as it has done with Obamacare, the Court came up with a technically constitutional pathway to allow...
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 43 minutes ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 13:1–23 Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- ICE has the chance to catch Jose Antonio Vargas RIGHT NOW Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 6 hours ago