Liberal Washington Post editorial page commentator Ruth Marcus sees sexism in the Republican opposition to naming the current U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, as Hillary Clinton’s replacement as Secretary of State. Marcus trots out a well-worn story from the 1970s. She relates the formidable Alice Rivlin’s recollections as first Director of the Congressional Budget Office. “Over my dead body will we have a woman in that job” was the reaction of the House Budget Committee Chairman. (Chairman, Ooh! Bad!) That was Dr. Rivlin’s testimony. Dr. Rivlin sailed through confirmation to chair the CBO and is widely respected...
In response to:
This is an example of why I left the Republican Party to be an independent. Our side no longer deals with problems honestly. The leadership just makes up stuff to fight about. Rice spoke from bad intelligence. The Republican leadership does not talk about the intelligence failure, they attack the messenger. Compare that to how we went into Iraq on bad intelligence. The GOP leadership put out a blizzard of spin to protect themselves. To this very day, with no WMD's found and an entire war having been fought for no good reason, these people are still making up stuff. Then I see that these same GOP leaders fought against budget increases for diplomatic security in Libya and around the world. The hypocrisy is disgusting.
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 40 mins ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 2 hour ago
- Stemwinder: Rand Paul rips Obama’s Syria plan, McCain, Kerry, Hillary, interventionists, anti-war hypocrites, you name it Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Congressman: The CIA thinks Obama’s strategy of arming Syrian moderates is “doomed to failure” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ukrainian President warns joint session of Congress of the ‘new Cold War’ Noah Rothman 4 hours ago